Are you struggling to find a really good eCommerce platform in Singapore for your business?
The Singapore based e commerce industry in Southeast Asia is projected to grow to be worth S$7.5 billion by 2025, more than Hong Kong, so it’s time to find the right e-commerce platform for your business.
The team here at eCommerce ASEAN website has thoroughly searched the e-commerce market to find the best eCom platform in Singapore for you, making sure we looked for all the best practices that each platform supplies.
Where can you sell online in Singapore?
- Amazon and eBay
- Shopify (Our Recommendation)
- Shopify Plus
NOTE: You are not competing with the likes of:
ZALORA: One of the many international southeast asia e commerce sites in Singapore, previously owned by Rocket Internet gets around 1,100,000 visitors per month to its online shopping marketplace.
Of course, while these larger mega e commerce sites in Singapore and other asian countries and fight over ecommerce market share… This is where the smart entrepreneur siphons off clients and buyers using digital marketing into their own e commerce market business.
10 Best eCommerce Platforms in Singapore
With over 1 million (1,189,390) Current Shopify Customers using the eCommerce websites software, the sheer numbers of users should give you an inkling of how good this platform is, could this be the best eCom platform Singapore and other Asian countries?
My answer – 100% Yes! Over 1800 online shopping stores in Singapore already use Shopify as their preferred e-commerce solution, because it’s SO EASY TO USE!
Is Shopify Good For Beginners?
Yes, And with a little bit of digital marketing instruction, following the best practices outlined in our free course you can have your fully functioning e Commerce sites in Singapore up selling your products within a matter of hours, from scratch…
And that includes:
- Adding products to your Shopify Store,
- Optimizing the product listings with your product descriptions,
- and adding plugins to help you do all of the detailed marketing bits and bobs.
Let’s look at what local Singapore eCommerce businesses are doing with Shopify.
Like WatchSpree, who uses the Shopify eCom platform for their Singapore fashion brands.
Shopify is much better for smaller boutique e commerce websites, and the price reflects this too: Ranging from about $29 dollars per month to about $299.
Get Shopify Here with a 14 Day Free Trial. All you need is your email address to start. It’s such a cool platform, and easy to use, no wonder it sits at Number 1 on the list and perfect for Southeast Asia.
But, then again, that’s not to say you can’t use the Shopify software for bigger eCommerce stores, and if that is your plan, then you might want to look into, Shopify Plus for your online marketplace.
2. Shopify Plus Enterprise
Simply put, if you are a high volume Singaporean e-commerce merchant who needs a hosted ‘enterprise eCommerce’ solution then…
Shopify Plus could be the best eCommerce website For Your Singaporean online business, definitely a good way to go…I’m sure you know Flower Chimp Singapore?
Well, believe it or not, they use Shopify Plus for all of their Singaporean online selling…
And, just like most online businesses that I work with: Company Growth is always on the agenda.
What Are The Benefits Of Shopify Plus?
- Scalability and customizations
- Wholesale management
- Mobile store builder
- Providing secure servers
- Payment compliance
- Unlimited bandwidth
- Customizable workflows
- Lower transaction fees
- Dedicated account managers
This is one of the things that places Shopify Plus on the list of best eCommerce website platforms for Singapore because you never know when you ever get into a pickle.
Shopify Plus Pricing Variations
Pricing will vary based on a number of factors, including how much product you actually sell, the technology that you need, your designs and customizations, etc.
The Shopify Platform Packages rank Number 1 on my list of 10 Best eCom Platforms For Singapore, plus just like above, you only need your email address to start.
3. Magento eCommerce Software Platform
It has over 200,000 worldwide (and nearly 700 in Singapore) businesses using this e-com platform for its online stores”.
I think the thing that really gets it for me is the security element that is associated with the Magento Platform, and also the ability to host Magento anywhere you like, preferably within Southeast Asia.
We breakdown the best web hosting for Singapore businesses here.
It’s full scale.
Now there are already huge companies like Skin INC using Magento Enterprise in Singapore and it’s southeast asian friends (plus about another 22 more businesses), because of its features…
But there are also a whole host of smaller players using the platform like grocery delivery stores. (Although not Magento Enterprise)
What Are The Magento Security Features?
- Enhanced password management – basically a much more advanced way of keeping your logins safe.
- Prevention of cross-site scripting (XSS) attacks – basically securing all the data that you want to keep secure, from escaping and people being able to find it.
Like any online store, you want to keep your business safe from attacks, and Abbot Store Singapore help their eCommerce safe by using Magento 2:
- Flexible file system ownership and permissions – this just keeps the files that you own safe, that only you or your developers can make changes to them.
- Prevention of clickjacking exploits – meaning that it prevents your user’s activity from unknowingly performing actions that they are not aware of.
- Use of non-default Magento Admin URL – this is cool, it creates a random Admin URL, meaning it is much harder for do-baddies to find, and potentially [email protected] Unlike WordPress.
- Advanced Security Measures, including:
- Admin Name and Password – obviously this is to use a very secure and random password, you really don’t want to be using anything that bots can easily break.
My first venture into selling using digital marketing on e commerce sites in Singapore and Southeast Asia was a terrible experience, and my password was very easy.
- Two-Step Verification – not just your average login, you will get an email, or text with a second verification to log in, I like this one.
There are many more security features, but these stand out as being really important, and the Magento e-commerce platform has you covered.
When it comes to determining the top e Commerce platforms for businesses in Singapore, BigCommerce is a pretty good online marketplace software.
Check out how your very own Deko Canvas uses BigCommerce for their Singaporean eCommerce business efforts. It’s very well done…
There are a lot of built-in options compared to other e Commerce platforms like Shopify, Weebly, Wix, Squarespace, etc.
What Can BigCommerce Do?
- Manage orders,
- Apps integration,
- And settings of your store.
Plus, you get access to eye-popping data reports that help you to step up and bring your eCommerce online business to the next level.
Have you ever used WordPress? If not, it’s a great content management system (CMS) and makes it really easy to do digital marketing, and over 14,105 of your fellow Singaporeans use it for their website of choice.
That’s pretty impressive. It’s used by D-Link Singapore for its operations. WooCommerce is a plugin that turns your WordPress website into an online e-commerce sales machine.
According to WooCommerce: It powers over 28% of all online stores, including grocery delivery, which is pretty massive considering the number of stores in the world.
Shared Hosting For eCommerce Software Solutions
In order to start your eCommerce journey, you will need only a domain and hosting to build a WordPress website in the first place.
The only drawback that makes people dislike WooCommerce is the lack of support, especially here in Southeast Asia. Our friends over at DYC Asia don’t have any issues with it…
I wouldn’t recommend you to use it if you are an eCommerce beginner, because it requires an experienced level of website skills.
6. Squarespace Commerce Site
Even huge corporations use it as part of their media empire, like the Singaporean commercial broadcasting conglomerate giant Mediacorp, for it’s Production Resource website.
It is used by all types, techy and non-techy alike. Like the guys (non-tech I’d imagine) at 28 Day practitioners at CITY Osteopathy and Physiotherapy in Singapore, who use the e Commerce platform as their online store to provide and sell programs and advice to help you achieve your best health!
And the great thing about Squarespace for your business is that it’s simple to start. Pricing isn’t too bad either.
Squarespace users are free to make transactions without paying fees and list unlimited products in their store.
Why is Squarespace Good For Small Business?
- It’s easy to set up an online store,
- It is simple to list products fast without watching any tutorials,
- And it’s cheap!
But, it is massively limited!
7. Wix eCommerce
It’s known for its website builder (people rave about it) where you can just drag and drop a couple of things to make a jaw-dropping store.
There are more than 500 decent themes from which you can choose. You can quickly add products to your online shop, integrate it with social media, and change shapes & buttons of the store with ease…
Like the eCommerce website Aajana in Singapore, selling Indian themed Jewelry.
The pricing of the Wix beats the Shopify platform, but what Shopify offers on their cheapest plan is more than what Wix does on its most expensive plan.
8. Big Cartel
It’s a great option for Singaporean entrepreneurs who have just started out and don’t have enough money to spend on a fully-fledged online store, a perfect platform for a grocery shopping website. It’s also pretty simple to use, as Frudee Singapore shows us…
You can use it at the price of $10 per month or even for free. The free plan allows you to put 5 listings with a single image per product on their Bigcartel.com domain.
If you opt for the paid option of $9.99/month, you can put 25 products with 5 images per product on your custom domain.
Why Get Big Cartel e-Commerce Platform?
- Real-time stats,
- Google analytics integration,
- Inventory tracking,
- Discount coupon generation,
- Bulk listing editing,
- And shipment tracking…
- All for under $10 per month.
Like Squarespace, it also has limited integrations.
Volusion is one of the greatest hosted eCommerce solutions in the online market.
But, it seems like a secret. Only 9 Singaporean businesses use it for their e-commerce platform.
Aldha Singapore, who are all about organics and healthcare, and use Volusion as their e Commerce platform Singapore of choice.
What Features Does Volusion eCommerce Have?
- It allows you to do SEO management,
- List 100 products,
- Use multiple gateway options,
- Calculate tax automatically,
- And control inventory with multiple product display options
- At the price of $29 per month.
- Zero transaction fees for your business
Etsy is an e-commerce website solution that is highly focused on handmade artistic commodities.
But as you can see, from some of the e commerce sites in Singapore I’ve found, you can sell the weird and wonderful online here.
Etsy gives you a comfortable and beautiful interface.
The way they have structured their platform makes it easy for you to learn about the platform at every single step. Which is a masterstroke in my opinion!
Which Platform Is Best For Selling Online In Singapore?
So there you have it, the top e Commerce platforms for Singapore in 2020. It’s a long list but hopefully, it has given you the help you need in choosing the correct e-commerce platform for your business, be that selling a physical good, doing a grocery shopping business, or whatever it is you do (PS I’d love to hear what your business is in the comments below).
As an all-round e-commerce platform, taking into consideration:
- Ease of use,
- And the availability of not only proficient designers and developers
- but a brilliant App Store, in the Shopify App Store,
I whole-heartedly recommend Shopify as the best e commerce Platform For Singapore, and with its 14 Day Free Trial, and only need your email address, its a great e commerce site to use.
If you are not Rocket Internet, then you have the world at your feet.
Are you going to try Shopify, leave us a comment name below so we know what you which is the top ecommerce platform you choose.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is an e commerce platform?
An e commerce platform is a type of website that helps you build ecommerce stores really easily. It allows you to put your products onto a website, and sell them.
It integrates lots of tools that help you make sales, like the ability to take payment on your site, the ability to capture customer e mail addresses, and the ability to post your products to social media websites to increase visitors to your store.
It can also help you increase sales of your offline store in Singapore, Hong Kong, Malaysia, wherever really, if you potentially have one.
Which platform is best ecommerce website?
The best e commerce websites is Shopify.
It one of the cheapest ecommerce softwares on the market in Singapore, and also the most user friendly.
It has the most add-on applications that also help you become a better marketer to sell more products, and you can find them in the Shopify App store, many of them for free.
Also, it has great themes/templates that you can use (again many for free).
What is the cheapest ecommerce software?
The cheapest ecommerce business software in Singapore is definitely Shopify, not only in price but in the amount of things that you get with it, and the ease of use, which takes you way less time.
Sure there are cheaper alternatives but they end up costing more in the long run due to hidden fees, difficulty of usage and lack of people who can help you.
What skills do you need for e commerce?
The most important skill you need for e commerce is patience.
Other skills that will help you excel at e commerce include:
1. Market Research – being able to find great products to sell, and also being able to research potential target markets to sell those products.
2. Digital marketing – this will help you sell your products online by enabling you to use your research to create great advertisements for your products and place those ads on the likes of Facebook, Instagram, Google, and YouTube.
3. Design – learning how to design great ads and graphics is a real bonus when you are starting an e commerce business.
4. Analytics – this is the study of your e commerce site data, and what customers do when they come to your site. This is important to know because it helps you to see which campaigns and content you create are working (selling) and which ones that are not.
5. Finance – this helps you understand how much money you are spending to sell each product. An example of this would be: If your product costs $10 to sell, but you are only selling it for $9, then you are making a loss of $1, not a profit. So this would be a losing product. But, if your product costs $6 to sell, and you sell it for $9, then you are making a $3 profit per product.
6. Country Knowledge – you must know how to sell into different countries if that is what you plan to do, because selling to Hong Kong will be different than selling to Singapore.
There are many other skills that you need to learn if you want to be a really successful e commerce store owner, but these are the most important.
How to I start an ecommerce platform in Singapore?
It is really very simple to start an ecommerce software, and it all begins with:
Know what niche you want to sell your products in.
Locate a good audience that are hungry to buy your products, you can find if there is a good audience by doing research into the niche on Google.
Find good quality products to sell to the niche you have chosen.
Set up an ecommerce website, the easiest to use for most people is Shopify, they are so inexpensive and easy to use, no wonder they have over 1 million customers.
Create ads using a free tool like Canva, which will enable you to create beautiful product graphics with a very easy to use interface.
Put those ads that you created onto a place where your audience is (you will have found where they are via your research). Most likely it will be Facebook, Instagram, Google or Youtube.
Monitor closely your ads to see if they are selling your products. If they do sell, then you could have found a winning product.